ENGAGE.EU Summer School 2023 (application closed)
Topic: Transformation to sustainability in Europe: challenges and solutions
Dates: June 7, 2023 (online)
July 17-28, 2023 (on campus)
Location: WU – Vienna University of Economics and Business, Austria
Administration fee: €100
Language of instruction: English
Application deadline: March 15, 2023
About the ENGAGE.EU Summer School
The ENGAGE.EU Summer School is an intensive, two-week undergraduate summer program taught by professors and lecturers from ENGAGE.EU universities. In line with the general ENGAGE.EU goals, the program aims to provide a forum for interdisciplinary academic exchange and learning on current societal challenges. It aims at equipping students with hard and soft skills needed to tackle these challenges and act as responsible future leaders. In 2023, the summer school will be hosted at WU in Vienna on the topic of “Transformation to sustainability: challenges and solutions”. Undergraduate students from all ENGAGE.EU partner universities will have the chance to actively participate in this summer program. Additionally, a social program will be offered to foster networking opportunities.
The ENGAGE.EU Summer School will be organized as an integrated course, offering students multiple theoretical perspectives and practical skills related to transformation to sustainability and consequent challenges present in the contemporary business world. The first component of the course program will consist of an online session on June 7. The core part of the course will then take place on campus from July 17-28. Attendance and active participation in both course components are pre-requisites for the successful completion of the summer school.
Click here for more details on the academic program.
In addition to the academic component, the participants will have the opportunity to practically engage with the topic of the summer school by attending company visits and expert lectures by guest speakers. The course program and practical experiences will be complemented by a mix of social, cultural, and international events, including various opportunities to network with students from other countries and explore Vienna – one of Europe’s cultural capitals and the world’s most liveable city.
In order to participate in the summer school, the students need to pay an administration fee of € 100. The fee covers the following services:
Transport & meals
Cultural & social events
Please note that accommodation is not included in the total fee. WU provides accomodation suggestions, but students are not bound to these options. Some of these providers offer discount codes, which will be communicated to the accepted applicants after the selection process has been completed.
Nominated students may be eligible to receive ERASMUS financial support from their home universities. Please contact your local coordinator to learn more about this.
The ENGAGE.EU Summer school is targeted toward students of any citizenship who are enrolled in an undergraduate study program at one of the ENGAGE.EU alliance university (University of Mannheim, LUISS University, NHH Norwegian School of Economics, Tilburg University, University of National and World Economy, Université Toulouse 1 Capitole, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Hanken School of Economics, Ramon Llull University). Since the summer school is an interdisciplinary program, students from diverse backgrounds (such as business, economics, law, social sciences) are strongly encouraged to apply as long as they meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must be enrolled in an undergraduate study program at one of the ENGAGE.EU partner universities.
- The applicant must have completed at least one academic year by the time of the participation in the summer school, i.e. in July 2023.
- Strong interest in the topic of the summer school, i.e. how European society transitions to sustainability, and which economic, demographic, social, legal, political, corporate, and business challenges can be expected on the way and how these can be tackled.
In order to apply for the ENGAGE.EU Summer School, students need to fill out the online application form below, and upload all necessary supporting documents, including:
- Motivation statement: a digital file (video, text, visuals, slides, …) explaining the students’ background (education, work experience, language skills, study/work abroad experience, other relevant skills and experiences), as well as their interest and motivation for the topic of the summer school. The applicants are free to decide on the specific format of the statement, bearing in mind that creativity and innovativeness are welcome. Please note that this document needs to be in English, and, depending on the format, needs to have a limited scope:
- for text files: 1 page,
- for videos or similar: 2 minutes,
- for other visuals or similar: 10 slides (or comparable files),
- Academic records (transcript of exams) (in the official language of the applicant’s home university or in English),
- Passport photo.
The application period for students is from 15 February to 15 March, 2023 (12:00 CET).
All applicants who submit their complete application on time will be informed about the status of their applications via email in April.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their academic records, academic progress, and motivation statement. A limited number of students per partner university will be accepted to the summer school.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at: