High School Competition 2022
About the ENGAGE.EU High School Student Competition
The ENGAGE.EU alliance developed the concept of innopreneurship – a reflection of the idea that European citizens need to master a complex set of skills and competences to tackle major societal challenges. The new concept is based on previous notions of entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship and innovation. In its core, innopreneurship is innovation-based value creation for society at large. This value is created by exploring and exploiting opportunities that emerge from innovative activities and/or require innovative actions.
Thus, innopreneurship is innovation based (meaning a practical implementation of a new idea that results in the introduction of new or improved products, services, processes, business models etc.). It must create value (social, sustainable, cultural, financial, or all combined) for the society at large. Innopreneurs engage in activities that are sustainable in terms of people, planet and profit, but at the same time their ideas are marketable.
In this year’s high school competition, we will look for young people with the so called “innopreneurial mindset”: students who are able to take the initiative, who are motivated and persistent, who demonstrate self-efficacy and self-confidence. The young innopreneurs are ready to create and/or recognize opportunities; have creativity and innovativeness; and can make decisions under uncertainty. They work by collaborating in diverse and interdisciplinary contexts; mobilize resources and implement their ideas. The innopreneurial mindset also means that your thinking is systemic, future-oriented and disruptive, ethical and sustainable.
The competition is open for high school European students above the age of 14. You should be willing to identify opportunities or solutions related to societal challenges and transform those solutions into specific and possibly marketable ideas.
About the challenge
The challenge is to identify innopreneurial opportunities to achieve the Sustainable Development Goal 12 “Responsible Consumption and Production”. Then you will have to generate and present in a sufficiently defensible form your innovative ideas corresponding to the identified opportunities.
SDG 12 is one of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, established by the United Nations, and its official wording is “Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns”. SDG 12 is meant to ensure good use of resources, improving energy efficiency, sustainable infrastructure, and providing access to basic services, green and decent jobs and ensuring a better quality of life for all.
Following the content of the results targeted by SDG 12, you are expected to identify innopreneurial opportunities, generate and develop innovative ideas corresponding to these opportunities. The implementation of your ideas should lead to:
- Sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources;
- Reduction of the food waste at the retail and consumer levels;
- Reduction of food losses along production and supply chains, including post-harvest losses;
- Environmentally sound management of chemicals and all wastes throughout their life cycle;
- Reduction of waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse;
- Other effects contributing to sustainable development.
Format of the challenge
The competition consists of two parts.
- At first, you will have about 20 days to develop the team idea and to fill in the project submission form. It contains instructions and limitations that you will have to follow strictly. There will be a deadline for submitting your form.
- On the actual competition day your team will have up to 15 minutes to present the project. It can be done via traditional presentation (Microsoft PowerPoint, Canva, Google Slides, Prezi, etc.), or in any other way that suits your idea.
Keep in mind that you might need to switch to an online option (in case of lockdowns or other restrictions). The participation of every team member in the presentation will be highly regarded.